Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day

I went for a brisk jog this morning is the misty air. A collection of brilliant clouds swept above me, moving gently with the tide in the sky  The smoky smell of grilled hot dogs greeted me at the end of my driveway. I followed the wonderful scent for a few blocks until I past the house from which it came. A little old man was grilling away in his backyard.  A puff of smoke billowed up from his great black grill.  Behind him I heard some soft swing music playing from the screened in porch. It's the fourth and everyone is off of work.  We're all home cleaning and cooking for an afternoon BBQ. My sister and I plan to make blueberry pie and chocolaty brownies. Aside from the good homecooked summer meal, everyone looks forward to the fireworks.  Those cannons in the sky that say freedom with every explosion. This year I really feel blessed to live in such a beautiful country.  Spacious skies and amber waves of grain.   Luscious green corn fields and the great mighty lakes. But the best part is just being with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment